The Lindekemale Mill
Four mills were in operation in Woluwe-St-Lambert until the end of the 17th century, of wich the Lindekemale mill is the oldest, dating back to 1129. Nickednamed the Lindeke (linden tree), it was owned by the De Park Abbey, wich started renting it out after acquiring it from the manorial families of Wezembeek, Duffel and Woluwe. It was originally to have a thatched roof before an upper brick storey was finaly added.
In the 20th century, the small-scale production of wheat flower could no longer compete with the mechanised flour-milling industry so that the mill activities were abandoned in favour of the production of snuff tobacco and endives that grew in the neighbourhood. the main building was converted into a café/dairy at the turn of the century with colourfull add-ons such as stepped gables, shutters, rustic ornaments, etc. After destruction by fire in 1928, the south wing of the building that was used for industrial activities was rebuilt.
Bought by the municipality in 1955, the water mill was converted into a restaurant in 1970. The building became listed in 1989 and the mill including its paddle wheel was thoroughly restored in 1997 by Mister Wilkin. Along with the Nekkersgat mill in Uccle, the Lindekemale mill is the largest surviving specimen of its kind out of 87 that existed in the mid-19th century.